HomeTown, specialist in apartments rentals, offers you a different kind of destinations in Europe vacation rentals. Rent an apartment and discover a cozy atmosphere in one of our vacation apartments for destinations such as France, Paris, Tel Aviv, Lisbon.
HomeTown blog offers you a selection of articles devoted to the best destinations, their news, culture, activities and of course, its people living in those destinations
It is a common cliché about the Portuguese that they are ardent supporters of football, but it could well be that behind this cliché hides a certain truth... That's why a visit to the Estadio da Luz is essential , even if you are not a fervent admirer of the round ball! Indeed, the S.L. Benfica stadium in Lisbon is one of the highlights of Portuguese culture, just like the National Museum of Azulejos. No need to explain to football buffs the interest of the visit of the "Cathedral", another name of the stadium of the Benfica club. As for the others, several reasons can convince them to venture into the district of Luz. Above all, to visit the Estadio da Luz is to discover the legend of one of the most beloved soccer clubs in the world, during a well-made visit, which will also convince the reluctant. Sport Lisboa e Benfica, one of the three big Portuguese clubs The "Sport Lisboa e Benfica" would have no less than fourteen million fans worldwide, and in 2015 would have the second largest number of active members in the world (225,000 according to FIFA, behind Bayern Munich). In 2006, it held first place, according to the Guinness book of records. If we believe the numbers, it is the beloved club of 47% of Portuguese, more than five million people! S.L. Benfica is, with the Sporting Clube de Portugal and FC Porto, one of the "big three" clubs of the Portuguese Primeira Liga Championship: "Os Três Grandes". These three giants of Portuguese football each have their animal mascot, which also gives its name to the players: eagle for S.L. Benfica, lion for Sporting, and dragon for FC Porto. The three clubs compete in highly anticipated matches that bring crowds together. The two historical rivals, S.L. Benfica and Sporting C.., compete each year for the "Lisbon Derby", also known as the "Eternal Derby". As for the Benfica - FC Porto match, is called "O Clássico". The rivalry with the Sporting C.P. reposes first on the number of matches won, the two clubs being touch-key in the rankings. But it was poisoned by low shots in which SL Benfica did not always have the good role, as the time when the Eagles "grabbed" the player Eusébio from the Lions of Sporting, then freshly landed in Portuguese East Africa (who was not yet Mozambique)... The « Cathedral » of soccer: The Estadio da Luz The "Stadium of Light", also nicknamed "the Cathedral", should take its name from the parish of Luz in which it is installed, in the district of Benfica. But the purists argue over the origin of the sobriquet: the old stadium was called "Estado do Carnide" until 1958, when the lighting devices were installed. It is at this moment that they changed its name to become "Estadio da Luz". The current Estadio da Luz, built to host some matches of Euro 2004, opened in October 2003. It is the largest stadium in Portugal and one of the largest in Europe, with a capacity of more than 64,000 people. It notably hosted the final Euro 2004, July 4th (Portugal 0 - 1 Greece), and the final of the Champions League in May 2014 (Real Madrid 4 - 1 Atletico Madrid). The former Estadio da Luz, which operated from 1954 to 2003, was in the same location before it was demolished. It was inaugurated on November 1, 1954 by a meeting of the sworn enemies: S.L. Benfica and FC Porto - who won the match 3 to 1. Visit the Estadio da Luz It is easy to visit the Estadio da Luz; a combined ticket also gives access to the Cosme Damião Museum. Guided tours start every twenty minutes, and last between 45 minutes and 1 hour. The stadium is open daily between 10 am and 5 pm, except on December 25 and January 1 (the stadium closes at 2 pm on December 24 and 31). Good news, the visit (in Portuguese or English), exciting, will also interest those who do not really like soccer. So do not be remorseful to go with family or group. The guide will introduce you to the visitor's changing rooms, the terraces, the lawn, the press room, but also the famous eagles, emblems of the club. These mascots fly over the stadium on match days, with club-colored ribbons on their legs. A camera on the back, the eagles give an impressive view of the crowd in the stands, before landing in the center of the field to the applause of the spectators. See a match at the Estadio da Luz It is of course possible to attend a match at Estadio da Luz. Tickets can be purchased directly on the club's website or at different ticket counters for the next match. We have the choice between 4 stands and 5 levels of stands. For the schedule of matches, see here. Estadio da Luz / Estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica - Museu Cosme Damião - Av. Eusebio da Silva Ferreira, 1500-313 Lisboa - metro "Linha Azul", station Colégio-Militar / Luz or Alto-dos-Moinhos - combined ticket stadium and museum, € 17,5, stadium only € 12,5, museum only € 10. The emblem of S.L Benfica and its motto The emblem of S.L. Benfica brings together several symbols that represent the history of the club and its values. In the center, a soccer ball (obvious!), Crossed with a ribbon that bears the initials of the club: S.L.B., Sport Lisboa e Benfica. S.L. Benfica is the result of the merging of two clubs in 1908, Sport Lisboa (created in 1904) and Grupo Sport Benfica (created in 1906). The shield is a legacy of Sport Lisboa, while the bike wheel comes from Grupo Sport Benfica: like many sports clubs at the time, the G.S.B. grouped several sports, including cycling. Above the red and white shield, an eagle, symbol of nobility and independence, and the motto of the club, "E Pluribus Unum": "out of many, one." This motto was for a long time that of the United States, before being replaced by "In God We Trust". It highlights the team spirit: everyone leaves their ego and individualism in the cloakroom (evil spirits will say it's not easy for some footballers ...), and becomes one with his teammates . A nice coat of arms that has gone through the decades, for a club in mind unchanged since its inception. Anthem of S.L. Benfica: « Ser Benfiquista » The anthem celebrates the "club lutador", a fighters club, "without rival / in Portugal", and its red poppy jerseys. The song recalls that "being a benfiquista" is not just about being a football fan, it goes far beyond that! Composed by Paulino Gomes Junior, it was sung for the first time on April 16, 1953 by the tenor Luís Piçarra during a "sarau", event intended to raise funds to build the Estadio da Luz. Eusébio, the black panther Eusebio da Silva Ferreira rightly deserves the name of legend. He began to test ball in a subsidiary of the sport, before joining the SL Benfica in a scenario worthy of a spy movie ... SL Benfica would indeed have found a way to convince the mother of Eusebio, then that he was already promised for the sport. Eusebio then traveled to Lisbon under an assumed name so as not to arouse suspicion! He played under the colors of SL Benfica from the early 1960s until the mid-1970s, in a brilliant career with a long life: in those years, SL Benfica was eleven times champion of Portugal, and it was thanks to Eusebio that the club came in 3rd place of the 1966 World Cup (top scorer, with 9 goals). He also received the Golden Ball in 1965. He is one of the few scorers to ever score a goal against Dynamo's legendary goalkeeper Lev Yachine. Yachine then warmly closes the hand of the one who has just pierced his defense and they will remain friends for life. And when the death of Yachine is announced in 1990, just before a game of Benfica Meteor Stadium, the cameras turn to the Portuguese delegation: Eusebio cries hot tears. When Eusebio dies in 2014 at the age of 76, Portugal decrees three days of national mourning. The body of the great footballer is touring the Estadio da Luz, according to his wish, under the screaming eyes of tears of Portuguese fans come to pay a last tribute to "the Black Panther". The Estadio da Luz is "his" stadium, as evidenced by his statue at the entrance. The next generation: the new talents of S.L Benfica Mile Svilar, the goalkeeper of S.L. Benfica, an 18-year-old Belgian, has recently made a name for himself... for a good and a bad reason! On 17 October 2017, he became the youngest goalkeeper to play in the Champions League at 18 years and a month: "to well-born souls, the value does not wait for the number of years". But in the same match between S.L. Benfica and Manchester United, he also... scored a goal against his own side, stepping back into the cage with the ball after a free kick. Oops. He thus precipitated the defeat of his club, which had to concede the victory (0-1). He apologized to the fans, and was inconsolable at the end of the match ... Was it the pressure to play a big game against Manchester United, at Old Trafford moreover?Read more
Largo do Carmo is a small quiet place on the heights of Lisbon. To be discovered during those moments when the crowd of tourists has moved away, it has a discreet charm, with its fountain surrounded by jacarandas. Instead of hurrying to take the Santa Justa lift, you can go up the alleys of Chiado, before reaching Largo do Carmo all while savoring the peaceful atmosphere that emanates from this place. A small square to discover in the spring, in the middle of the flowers The Largo do Carmo is particularly spectacular between mid-May and early June, when the jacarandas, also called blue flamboyant, bloom. These trees originating from South America, and especially from Brazil, are covered with clusters of flowers of a delicate violet blue. These are the same trees that adorn the gardens of Mamounia in Marrakech. In the middle, a graceful fountain thrones the square, also known as Chafariz do Carmo. This is the only niche type fountain in Lisbon: four pillars meet above the basin, connected by four arches surmounted by dolphins. Built in 1771, it was designed by Reinaldo Manuel dos Santos, in a style that mixes classical and baroque. At number 18, Fernando Pessoa lived from 1908 to 1912 in a small rental room. The Elevador de Santa Justa is not a must... Most travel guides take great care to recommend using the Santa Justa lift. This "elevador" is one of the four that Lisbon has. In the city of seven hills, it would be necessary to climb, at one time or another ... The famous elevadores, symbols of the city and cherished of the tourists, partly solved the problem, providing a means of rapid ascent and easy to the places in the city where the elevation is a little rough. The particularity of the elevador of Santa Justa is to be a real lift, while the other three, the ascensores of Lavra, Gloria and Bica, are funiculars that used to function hydraulic powered and today with electricity. All were designed by the same engineer, Raoul Mesnier du Ponsard. Contrary to the legend, Mesnier du Ponsard was not the student, or even the admirer, of Gustave Eiffel, with whom he had no connection, although it is true that many see similarities between the Santa Justa lift and the Eiffel Tower. The Elevador de Santa Justa was built in 1902, in a graceful neo-Gothic end of century style, and connects the Rua de Santa Justa to Largo do Carmo. At Rua de Santa Justa, its slender silhouette forms a surprising contrast with the street, which seems suddenly narrow, and the buildings, that the elevador dominates from the top of its 45 meters. At the top, an ornate metal walkway connects the elevator cabin to Largo do Carmo; You can also climb to the belvedere, which gives a magnificent panoramic view. However, one can put in front of the influx and the long wait: at peak periods, it is necessary to queue between 20 minutes and one hour to take the elevator, very popular with tourists. While the same walk takes only a few minutes - if you do not linger on the way in front of the windows of the many shops of Chiado... So, remember, the possibility of having, from the bridge or from the lookout, a breathtaking view of the hills of Lisbon, the Tagus, the roofs of the city, and the Convent of the Carmelites. However, no need to take the elevator to enjoy all these beauties. Elevador de Santa Justa - entrance included in the Lisbon Card or CARRIS / METRO Pass 24h, or € 5,15 for the elevator, plus € 1,50 for the belvedere (access to the bridge free). Convento do Carmo and the Archaeological Museum of Carmo The Largo do Carmo square takes its name from the former Carmo Convent, founded in 1389 and largely destroyed by the 1755 earthquake. The building has never been (purposefully) restored. the only building in Lisbon that gives an idea of the extent of the damage. This gives it, even under the intense sapphire sky and the hot summer sun, an aura of melancholy. Sic transit gloria mundi... The imposing exterior walls of the old church stand upright and white like cliffs; but when you get inside, you are surprised to see the majestic arches that rise into the void, the earthquake completely destroyed the roof. We thus enter an open church with a very special charm. Only a small part of the interior survived. In an apse of the church has found refuge a small archaeological museum with eclectic sympathy. There are scattered remnants of all periods of Portuguese history, Gothic tombs (including that of Denis I The Laborer, which features scenes of hunting boar), fountains, steles, windows from all over Portugal. On the gothic sarcophagi, the carved scenes show a luxury of detail: that of Don Fernando I presents on one of its faces a bucolic landscape of groves, with in the foreground a staircase on which a small individual sat to read, at the exit of a church. The collection also includes prehistoric artefacts discovered during a search on the site of Azambuja, in the Alentejo region, dating from 3500 to 1500 BC Finally, for those who have the heart well attached, or who dream of Indiana Jones, two pensive Peruvian mummies of the 16th century look at the visitors, squatting in their windows. Convento do Carmo and Archaeological Museum - Largo do Carmo, 1200-092 Lisboa - entrance 4 € - from Monday to Saturday, from 10h to 18h in winter (October to May), and from 10h to 19h in summer (June to September) - Closed Sunday, December 25, New Year's Day and May 1st. The Church of Saint-Roch and its museum – Igreja de São Roque The austere white facade of the Saint-Roch church hides well its game. Under a very severe and, at the same time, boring exterior, it contains a most sumptuous interior. The side chapels adjoining the main nave are, each in their own way, a jewel of Baroque art. The most impressive, and rightly so, is the chapel of St. John the Baptist, in the Rococo style. It is a debauchery of gold, silver, marble and precious stones, agates, lapis lazuli, amethysts. The striking scenes of the Apocalypse are recreated in mosaics: some of the tesserae that make up these paintings do not measure more than 3mm. Commissioned by King John V the Magnanimous, the chapel was created in Rome by two Italian artists, then blessed by the Pope himself, before being dismantled piece by piece and transported by boat to Lisbon. The chapel is separated from the church by a balustrade of green marble; on the floor, a mosaic of fine stones represents the armillary sphere, symbol of the kings of Portugal. Lapis lazuli columns seem to support a hexagonal vault decorated with heads of putti. The rest of the church, “soberer” (if we can speak of sobriety for baroque art), is beautiful. The ceiling tricks the eyes, the azulejos, the vaults of the chapels, the twisted columns decorated with vine leaves, give the whole a haughty serenity. In the professed house, next to the church is a small museum of religious art, which also houses the treasure of the chapel of St. John the Baptist. This part of the museum was formerly the home of the Jesuit brothers who founded the church. Do not forget to spend some soothing moments in the cloister, decorated with a landscaped garden that brings together four species of bamboo around a rectangular water mirror. Igreja de São Roque and Museum of Religious Art - Largo Trindade Coelho, 1200-470 Lisboa - Baixa-Chiado Metro - free entrance to the church, museum € 2.50 - museum open from 10am to 6pm (7pm in summer) from Tuesday to Sunday and from 14h to 18h on Monday - closed on January 1st, Easter Sunday, May 1st and December 25th.Read more
Why are there so many cinemas in the Latin Quarter? The Latin Quarter does not quite correspond to a district: it straddles the 5th and 6th arrondissements, which covers almost entirely. A historical district of universities since the creation of the Sorbonne in 1250, it remains still today the beating heart of Paris’ student life. As of the 1960s, several movie theaters were opened in the Latin Quarter, adding to the historic halls of cinema lovers, some open since the beginning of the 20th century. In the intellectual turmoil that follows May 68, cinema is no longer seen simply as entertainment, but as a real art and often as a way of observing society and making it change, surfing on the prestige of the New Wave. Cinema arthouse, cinema of author, committed cinema: the Latin Quarter, epicenter of the bohemian intellectual and artistic center asks for more. Not to mention the fact, much more prosaic, that students have free time between classes - or when they skip a class... So, let's take the path of schoolchildren and go for a walk in the dark rooms, discover on the big screen what is the soul of the Latin Quarter! The Champo The Champo, proudly standing at the corner of rue Champollion and rue des Ecoles, needs no further presentation. Open since 1938, it survived a fire and was threatened with closure before a massive mobilization saved it. The Paris City Council has made the cinema and its original facade, dating from 1938, be classified as a historic monument for their protection. The fire of 1941 has also been the site of an ingenious invention: the "retro-reflex", which uses a periscope to project the image on a mirror reflected on the screen. This process, which makes it possible to project films even in very small rooms, is perhaps at the origin of the "reflection" that one finds in the name of another cinema of the street Champollion, the Reflet Medici, and in the name of the Ciné Reflet bookshop, today reincarnated into the library of cinema of the Pantheon. Champo is the cinema of filmmakers, the temple of the New Wave: François Truffaut admitted having spent whole days there. He is not the only one to have frequented this small cinema that quickly became Saint of the Saints of the 7th art: Lelouch, Godard, Chabrol were regulars. Champo is fond of major retrospective cycles devoted to an author or a movement and organizes "Champo nights", in which films around the same theme are broadcasted continuously from midnight until dawn. Le Champo - 51, rue des Ecoles, 75005 - metro Cluny-La-Sorbonne or Maubert-Mutualité, or RER Luxembourg The Filmothèque of the Quartier Latin It is rumored that Quentin Tarantino would come on pilgrimage to the Filmothèque of the Latin Quarter every time he goes to Paris ... The American director must have the gift of disguise, because its large size does not facilitate the incognito! In its two intimate rooms, under the sign of Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, we come to revel in typical screenings of the neighborhood of intellectuals: films of authors, retrospectives of great directors, festivals of less known cinemas, Turkish cinema, Kurdish cinema, Hungarian, Lebanese, Finnish or Ukrainian. Eclecticism is the watchword, with a great variety of eras and genres. But attentions to the latecomers: do not think to arrive quietly during the advertisements, because there is none at the Film Library! La Filmothèque du Quartier Latin - 9, rue Champollion, 75005 - Cluny-La-Sorbonne metro or Maubert-Mutualité, or RER Luxembourg The Reflet Médicis Former theater, the Reflet Medicis opened in 1964, making it one of the oldest cinemas in the Latin Quarter. It is, like the Champo and the Filmothèque, located rue Champollion, so it has also become the den of students of the Sorbonne, who come to kill the time between two courses. The cinema has three rooms: in the room Medici 3, do not miss the multicolored stained-glass window, which dates from the time when the Reflet Medici was still the Theater of the Night owls. As it is of rigor in an art room, the films are presented in their original language, and there are special retrospectives devoted to the great directors, not to mention the debates and meetings with directors and teams. The Reflet Medici also hosts several festivals: Polish Film Festival, Cineril Festival, Film Festival - Human Rights with Amnesty International. When the Cannes Film Festival ends each year, we find at Reflet Médicis the selection Un certain regard, which allows to discover directors still little known. Opposite, the Reflet is a simple and friendly student cafe. Before or after a session, we come to Reflet recapture with the world and sip a beer, like any self-respecting Parisian student! The Reflet Medici - 3, rue Champollion, 75005 - metro Cluny-La-Sorbonne or Maubert-Mutualité, or RER Luxembourg Espace Saint-Michel Dean of Latin Quarter cinemas, l’Espace Saint-Michel has been operating as a projection room since 1911. L’Espace Saint-Michel gives pride of place to films by French and foreign authors; where other cinemas in the neighborhood cultivate the great classics, l’Espace also seeks to introduce new talents. Here too, everything is done to encourage long, crazy conversations between film fans: The Les Affiches bar-restaurant owes its "fifties" stamp to the frescoes and cinema photos, and its name to the original posters that are part of the cinema collection. Finally, the Club is a cozy space hidden in the depths of the basement: it welcomes meetings between moviegoers and film people, during debates, for film screenings during filming or short films. Espace Saint-Michel – 7, place Saint-Michel, 75005 – métro Saint-Michel – Notre-Dame Cinema La Clef – l’Usage du monde On the other side of the Montagne Sainte-Geneviève, the cinema La Clef is not in the orbit of the Sorbonne, but remains well anchored in the Latin Quarter: The University of the Sorbonne-Nouvelle is nearby, on the street Censier. The Key has an original story. It may be the neighborhood's most "Mai 68" cinema: created in 1969, it is attended by students from the brand-new university that has just opened. During the 1970s, independent film and film screenings followed, but the room languished during the 1980s. In the 1990s, it was taken over by an African filmmaker under the name Images d'Ailleurs, to promote all the wealth of African and Afro-American cinema, which France then discovers the effervescence. Today, La Clef is the only associative cinema in Paris and has kept its spirit committed, by broadcasting films from around the world, especially those that are very difficult to see elsewhere or that reflect the social and environmental issues of the contemporary world. La Clef – l’Usage du monde - 34, rue Daubenton, 75005 - Censier-Daubenton metroRead more
Sète, there is no less than 17 festivals each year. The summer season has of course the lead. However, when the summer crowds are gone, spring and fall continue to resonate. From the end of March to the end of October, the festivals succeed each other without a break, or almost! Sète goes out of its way to welcome music lovers, film buffs, comedian, poets, but also urban art lovers, photo buffs and boat lovers. Here is a non-exhaustive list of Sète’s cultural events: especially music, comics, poetry and street art, enough to occupy most of your 2018 year! (NB: dates provided by the tourist office or organizers are indicative and subject to change) For the music lovers... From classical music to jazz and going to French music, rap and electro, fine ears are pampered in Sète. No fewer than seven music festivals take place between April and August, most of which take place in the magical setting of the open-air Jean Vilar Theatre de la Mer, overlooking the Mediterranean - and the setting sun, or the starry night , depending on the time of the concert. On evenings concerts, a free water bus connects the city center to the Theatre de la Mer. MusicaSète, classical music, from march 28th to April 11st 2018 MusicaSète brings together the instrumental ensemble Contrepoint and the Choir of Sète, as well as an assembly of musicians and opera singers. Young rising stars or seasoned musicians at the stage, the same love for music and the same disdain of conformity unites them. In 2018, MusicaSète will offer, as usual, an eclectic program of high fly which puts the curiosity in appetite: lieders, tribute to Ravel and Debussy, as well as to the Argentine composer Ariel Ramirez and his Misa Criolla. MusicaSète Festival, Saint-Pierre Church and Molière Theater Quand je pense à Fernande, French song, from 23rd to the 27th of June A wink to one of Brassens' most gaudy songs, the French song festival Quand Je Pense à Fernande brings together la crème of Francophone songwriters. In 2017, Charlélie Couture, Philippe Katerine and Catherine Ringer followed one another on the Théâtre de la Mer stage, after Bénabar, Thomas Fersen and ZAZ in previous years. French Song Festival Quand je pense à Fernande, Théâtre de la Mer. Worldwide Festival, électro, disco, hip hop, jazz, from June 30th to July 7th The Worldwide Festival, invests in the whole city: at the Theatre de la Mer in the evening for live sets then a dance floor for clubbing, in town and at the beach during the day, it's a whole week of Street parties and Beach parties. The festival is the baby of Gilles Peterson, DJ, animator of the BBC and founder of the Talkin'Loud & Brownswood labels. Since 2006, he has cultivated a sharp-tasting programming: the jazz and electro atmosphere that serves as the foundation of the festival (not to mention disco and hip-hop) is mingled with inspirations from around the world. Thus the 2017 edition was interested in sounds from South Africa, Niger and Jamaica. Worldwide Festival, Théâtre de la Mer and many places in the city. Jazz in Sète, from the 12th to the 20th of July Jazz in Sète, because there are few pleasures purer than that of savoring the blue note feet in the waves. The festival offers every year a demanding program that knows how to attract the big names of jazz. Without concern for completeness, here is a little mouthing of the musicians who have invested the stage of the Theatre de la Mer in the past: Georges Benson, Winton Marsalis, Boby Mc Ferrin, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Mélodie Gardot, Avishai Cohen, Gregory Porter, Beth Hart, Cory Henry, Trombone Shorty, Stanley Clarke... Jazz in Sète, Théâtre de la Mer Fiest'A Sète, world music, 21st of July to the 7th of august Fiest'A Sète is in fluidity, just at the time of the sacrosanct cross of the julyists and Augustians: the first week of the festival of world music stops here and there, for free concerts around the Bassin de Thau and Sète, before settling for the first week of August at the Théâtre de la Mer. The festival swarms in town and on the beach for exhibitions, chats and of course, before and after parties. In 2017, Eliades Ochoa, Fatoumata Diawara, rubbed shoulders with Patriarcas de la Rumba and the Ciocarlia Fanfare - excuse the little! Fiest'A Sète, traveling in the region, then to the Theatre de la Mer and several places in town. Demi Festival, hip hop, 9th to the 11th of August Scheduled for mid-August, the 3rd edition of the Demi Festival is already eagerly awaited by fans of hip hop. This independent French rap festival, created by rapper Demi Portion, is much bigger than his "little" name might suggest. Oxmo Puccino, JP Manova, Youssoupha and The Wise Poets of the Street ignited the 2017 festival. The bar is set high, attempt to transform it in 2018. Demi Festival, Théâtre de la Mer. My Life Festival, 24th to the 25th of August For the My Life festival, the Théâtre de la Mer is transformed into a gigantic club, where the crowds undulate, expertly galvanized by DJs of choice. The 2017 edition hosted Tale Of Us, Dixon and KiNK - KiNK, for example, which did not wince when a motivated spectator grabbed his keyboard. Handsome player, he even shared the video of the impromptu intervention. My Life Festival, Théâtre de la Mer Club For those who love music – and the other arts... Street art, cinema, poetry and comics, they are not left aside in Sète and also have their festival K-Live, Street art and current music, from the 27th of May to the 3rd of June The sea, the walls: the K-Live Festival creates a bridge between street art, music and visual arts. The urban art that is the heart of this festival culminated in the creation of the MaCO, the Open Skies Museum (Musée à Ciel): a walk in Sète that surprises unexpected frescos, created by the finest of street-art. In 2017, the evening concert brought together Roots Manuva, DJ Vadim and DJ Jase. K-Live, many places throughout the city SunSète Festival, cinema, from the 7th to the 12th of July After Cannes, another "croisette" settles on the shores of the Mediterranean, more relaxed but equally pro. In town, directors and renowned actors meet to offer masters classes and debates and meetings with a public of informed moviegoers. Then, at sunset, one settles on the deckchairs of the beach of the Fountain (Place Roger Thérond) for free projections in open air on a giant inflatable screen. Agnès Varda, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Abdellatif Kechiche, Laetitia Casta, Julie Gayet and Rufus have already had the honor of the festival. About fifteen shorts films, all genres combined, compete each year to win the Golden Bear, a wink to his Berlin counterpart. SunSète, at the François Mitterrand media library and Plage de la Fontaine Vivid Voices of the Mediterranean, poetry, art, music, from July 20th to the 28th This poetry festival brings together more than a hundred poets from around the Mediterranean, accompanied by storytellers, musicians, singers and actors. In the squares, streets, gardens and historic places of the city, we stop to listen and share the lively words of contemporary poets. Vivid voices, several places in town. BD Plage, cartoons, from the 25th to the 26th of August This festival "feet in the sand" takes place over two days at the Lido beach. It celebrates the Franco-Belgian comic and manga: in 2017, about twenty authors were invited, under the guidance of the Belgian cartoonist Étienne Willem, president of the festival. Between two dives, we come to admire and have ones favorite albums dedicated, or attend a workshop led by one of the guests (in 2017, it's the designer Juan who lent himself to the game with bonhomie). BD Beach, Lido beach, open to all, free entry. And for Brassens : 22 V'là Georges, from the 21st to the 28th of October Of course, we cannot forget Brassens, who has his own festival, as it should be. This one closes the season in beauty. The local child is celebrated around October 22, the anniversary of his birth. The Quartier de la Revolution is buzzing for, in the words of the association Cap Brassens, "to celebrate his birthday every year on his street, in front of his house". For a week, there are food blowouts, concerts-aperitifs and concerts all at once, in a good-natured atmosphere that would not have disavowed the cantor of des copains d’abord. Do not forget to participate in the very popular festival raffle, really well endowed! In 2017, the first prize was a guitar "model Brassens" handcrafted by the luthier Sétois Jean-Paul Le Bon. Festival 22 V'la Georges!, Concerts-apéros from 18h in the cafes and bars of the district, then concert main place of the Republic.Read more
You may have come to Montmartre in the footsteps of Amélie Poulain ... Take advantage of it until July 2018 to visit the Halle Saint-Pierre, to see the exhibition devoted to objects crafted by Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Then, continue your treasure hunt to discover Paris, but on another track, that of the "Steampunk" dear to the before mentioned. "Caro and Jeunet" are a genius tandem known for their films with a strange universe, populated by bizarre objects and sometimes a comical décor but sometimes disturbing. Their best-known collaborations are the films Delicatessen and La cite des Enfants Perdus. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is also, of course, the director of Alien Resurrection and Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain. The exhibition allows you to dive into their dream world with delight and to find the unusual objects that populate their films. Everyone remembers Amelie Poulain's bedside lamp: the lamp-stand, a placid pig in a dressing gown, liking to share her wise aphorisms about her owner's eventful love life. The lamp is part of the exhibits at the Halle Saint-Pierre, in the heart of the neighbourhood of Amelie Poulain - so to speak at home! You can also see Dominique Bretodeau’s box of souvenirs that Amelie returns to its owner after many subterfuges. But the exhibition also recalls the darker sides of the universe of Caro and Jeunet, where the Steampunk cyclops evolve, decked out with a monocle at the end of an articulated arm, the “optacon", and where the Alien takes the scary aspect of a skeletal abortion. The Halle Saint Pierre, outsider art and singular art "Dedicated to the most unexpected forms of creation," Halle Saint-Pierre is a space dedicated to outsider art and singular art, nestled at the foot of the Butte Montmartre - near the gardens of Sacré Coeur where Amelie Poulain takes Nino Quincampoix on a nice treasure hunt. The Halle also hosts an art-shop bookstore and a café. In parallel with the exhibition Caro and Jeunet, do not miss "Turbulences in the Balkans", on the upper floor of the Halle, an exhibition devoted to the latest developments of outsider art in this region. Interestingly, Jean-Pierre Jeunet is an avid visitor to the Halle, and the creators and artists who have exhibited in the past have suggested many elements for his films. The exhibition includes works from the Halle Saint-Pierre collection, chosen by Caro and Jeunet for having inspired them. Halle Saint-Pierre - 2, rue Ronsard, 75018 - metro Anvers or Abbesses - open every day, from 11h to 18h, Saturday from 11h to 19h and Sunday from 12h to 18h - beware, the ticket office closes 1h before the closing time of the museum - full price 9 €, under 15 6 € Steampunk, the nostalgia of the future But what is "Steampunk"? A universe born of the unbridled imagination of novelists and artists both fascinated by technological progress and worried about its excesses. From the novels of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne to the wanderings of Adèle Blanc-Sec in a Paris populated by frightening creatures, the Steampunk cultivates an imaginary that mixes Belle Époque fashion and crafted gear. Redingotes, crinolines and time machines stand in a merry tote. The "Steampunk" is also a very lively community of fans, who in France are called "vaporists". This mixture of futurism and nostalgia, these strange and poetic objects, are found in a series of famous chromolithography’s: "The Year 2000" seen by Villemard. Designed in 1910, at the height of the Belle Époque, these exquisitely obsolete skits described an ultra-technological future as it was portrayed at the time: telephone conversations with holograms, supersonic means of transport, beard-trimming machines and hair styling for the ladies. Even if we can recognize the ancestors of objects that we use every day, the combination of articulated arms, gramophone pavilions and 1900s clothing still smiles... The turn of the century, late 19th and early 20th, is also the time of Jules Verne's triumph. Captain Nemo's submarine, the Nautilus, is a shining example of these complicated machines whose function is not always obvious but which have an undeniable look! Moreover, you can find the Mysteries of the Nautilus among the attractions of Disneyland Paris. Jules Verne was also an unneglectable source of inspiration for Caro and Jeunet and remains the patron saint of Steampunk, in Paris and around the world. "The Jules Verne" is also the name of the restaurant on the 2nd floor of the Eiffel Tower, symbol Steampunk if it were. The Mysteries of Nautilus - Disneyland Paris - accessible by RER A, Marne-la-Vallée/Chessy stop, or by Disneyland Paris Express from Gare du Nord, Opera and Châtelet. Restaurant Le Jules Verne (Alain Ducasse) - 2nd floor of the Eiffel Tower - avenue Gustave Eiffel, 75007 - metro 6 Bir-Hakeim, RER C Eiffel Tower The automaton collection and the Blériot aeroplane from the Museum of Arts and Crafts This fascination for ingenious machines does not date from yesterday - nor does it date from Jules Verne. Poets can continue their daydreams at the Museum of Arts and Crafts, which has a superb collection of automatons from all ages. This Theatre of automatons shows notably a Marie-Antoinette musician, player of tympanon. Her graceful head movements produce a strange, almost living impression. The Theatre brings together other curious specimens, many toys like this Don Quixote with a proud moustache painted on his steed on wheels, and other musicians, such as barbaric organ player. At the discretion of the galleries, one can also admire the flying machine of Louis Blériot, ancestor of the plane. This airplane was the very one that allowed Blériot to cross the Channel in 37 minutes in 1909 - and this vintage film, black and white grainy and flickering, will certainly have influenced the fans of Méliès that are Caro and Jeunet. The character of the zany and daring inventor, who tests his own machines at the risk of his life, is a well-known figure in the Steampunk pantheon! Museum of Arts and Crafts - 60, rue de Réaumur, 75003 - Metro Arts et Métiers or Reaumur-Sebastopol - price: 8 €, reduced price € 5.50, free the first Sunday of the month and Thursday from 18h to 21h30 Arts et Métiers metro station, line 11 The Arts et Métiers metro station itself is well known to the "vaporists" for its retro and futuristic look, a trademark of the Steampunk ... On the docks of line 11, it multiplies the winks like the portholes that pretend to be in the depths of the Earth, and which display objects from the Museum of Arts and Crafts, such as the armillary sphere or the Telstar satellite. Its elliptical vault, entirely covered with riveted copper plates, gives it a very particular look that evokes the mechanics and the machines, as well as the big wheels at the end of the platform. This deco set up for the bicentennial of the National Conservatory of Arts and Crafts is due to the screenwriter Benoît Peeters and the designer François Schuiten. Long-time friends, they collaborated on the fantastic comic book Les Cités Obscures. This universe of science fiction takes us, among other places, to "Brüsel" and "Pâhry": these two imaginary cities resemble what could be Brussels and Paris, if a crazy Steampunk urbanist had redesigned them...Read more